Thursday, March 3, 2016

Masters of the Universe Classics He-Man 2.0


By the Power of Grayskull! Here's a look at the MOTUC He-Man 2.0.


First the packaging. The outer sleeve an image of Castle Grayskull. I like the artwork. The top of the packaging is slanted which helps make the castle seem bigger from a bottom up perspective. The castle looks off though as the tower portions were not drawn, probably due to the lack of space. The door to castle is closed as you can see.


Remove the sleeve and you reveal He-Man standing in the open doorway! I like he's in the "I have the Power!" pose. It's so iconic. The "eyes" and "nose" of the castle have transparent windows so light can shine through on the figure. It'll make for a good display piece.


Here are the backs of the outer sleeve (below left) and the box (below right). Seeing the titles and the art brings back so much memories. 


























There's a cardboard insert which you can use as a backdrop. It shows the interior of the castle. 


And here he is. He-Man, the most powerful man in the universe. This figure is version 2.0 and based on the 80s cartoon. Now this is how I remember He-Man. I think he has a good likeness The figure uses largely the same body as with the previous version but with different gear. His look has significantly less detail and the colours are brighter to match the animation style. He's got a new head sculpt. He has a friendlier appearance. He wears a smile on his face. The eyebrows are shaped and thick as they should be. I especially like the hair. It's got some nice detail and I can just picture the bounce of it as he walks. He wears a scabbard on his back. It can be rotated 360 degrees. I prefer it to be slanted to his right. I believe that was how it was in the cartoon. One gripe is his sword does not slot into the scabbard fully. Half of the sword is sticking out as it is.


























Accessories. He comes his Sword Of Power and a stone pedestal. There are two slots in the pedestal where the swords can be placed. Remember the Secret of the Sword feature? The other slot is meant for She-Ra's sword.


He-Man's Sword of Power is single coloured like it was in the cartoon. It maybe has a tad too much bluish tint. The shape is there but I think the blade should be longer. His grip of it a little loose in both his hands. 


Articulation. He's got a ball joint neck, ball hinge shoulders, elbow hinge, swivel and weapon hinge (up and down) right wrist, swivel hinge left wrist, ab crunch, waist rotation, peg hinge hips, knee hinge, calf swivel and ankle hinges (both up and down, and left to right). I can't say I like the look of the lateral ankle hinges but they work. I like that he can do his iconic poses. 




























When I was younger I always wondered who was the strongest character there was. My list even included Hulk Hogan at one point. Here's a couple of match-ups. 




Just one comparison shot. You can see the differences between this and the previous version.


I love the figure! I had stopped collecting MOTUC but I think might pick up the 2.0 versions which are based on the 80s cartoon. Until next time!


1 comment:

Kim Dubuisson said...

Wow! He looks awesome.