Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Marvel Legends Series 6" War Machine (Captain America: Civil War) & Iron Man Mark 27 (Disco Armour) 2-Pack


Captain America: Civil War opens tomorrow! So hyped! Can't wait to watch it! Things are heating up in the toy aisles too. Cap is going to need all the help he can get as reinforcements for Team Iron Man have arrived. I saw the two pack at the Captain America Festival last week and I hear it's now available in some stores. Here's a look at War Machine and the Disco Armour Iron Man. 




A quick look at the Iron Man Mark 27 first. The figure is a repaint of the Age of Ultron War Machine from the Hulkbuster BAF series. This armour's main ability is stealth. I'm not sure how that works with the bright orange and shiny dark blue colours. The Disco name is certainly appropriate for it. The paint apps are good for the most part. The edges where the orange meets the blue are a little rough and splotchy. I like how the white eyes contrast against the blue. I also like the white paint sprayed at the arc reactor. It gives the appearance of it being illuminated. He has a shoulder cannon. It's a gold tinge metal colour here. This figure looks good and has its appeal. I'm not sure if I should keep it though. I guess he can be used as part of an Armoury setup. 



























I think most of us will be buying this 2-pack for the War Machine figure. He looks good. He definitely has the size and bulk. The body is new and there's lots of great sculpted detail on it. One thing which bothers me though is the upper torso. I think it's a little too big and roundish and it kinda throws the whole look out of proportion. It also seems to be off-centred on my piece. He has guns sculpted on his forearm. I like what they did with the armour. I like the matte black. If you examine it closely you can make out tiny white sparklies. They make it look like metal. Nice! The paint apps are great. The metallic silver areas were all well done. The logos and the letterings were well done too. I'm not sure how I missed the red blemish at the arc reactor given the number of pieces I had to choose from. 


























I'm glad War Machine comes with several accessories. You expect him to be loaded with weapons. He's got a shoulder cannon, a shorter straight shoulder cannon, two machine guns, an inactive baton, an activated baton and an extra pair of interchangeable fists.


The main shoulder cannon goes on his left shoulder. It loosely fits in the slot but will still stay on if untouched. Once touched it will likely drop off. The cannon has a swivel and hinge and can be aimed at several different directions.


The two machine guns have some nice sculpted detail on them. They may be pegged to his legs or at his forearms. I personally prefer them at his legs as the slot for them are quite noticeable.  



Another reason I prefer them at his legs is so he can draw them like guns. I think they can be used as handguns as they each have a hinge and a segment can be pulled down. The hinge does not allow the handle to go down far enough though. So in order to get him to point straight you have to adjust his arms.  


The inactive baton may be stored on his right shoulder. It stays on very well. The baton when activated like you see in his hand looks to extend out and has red energy flowing through it. I like the detail and the paint apps on the activated baton. It looks a little too short to me and I would have liked it to be longer.


Then there's the short cannon piece. Or that's what I think it is. The only place it fits is on his left shoulder. I suppose it's a cannon for when he's flying. I used the inactive baton to double up as another cannon for him. 


Articulation. The Disco armour Iron Man has a ball hinge neck, ball hinge shoulders, bicep swivel, double jointed elbows, swivel hinge wrists, ball joint torso, ball hips, thigh swivel, double jointed knees and ankle swivel and hinge. He can look up and down quite well. The shoulder armour have flexibility to allow him to raise his arms a bit but not fully. He cannot flex his hands outwards due to the armour on the back of his hands. The ankle joint is hardly usable due to the leg armour.


War Machine has a ball hinge neck, ball hinge shoulders, bicep swivel, double jointed elbows, swivel hinge wrists, ball joint torso, ball hips, thigh swivel, double jointed knees and dumbbell joint ankles. The shoulder pads are flexible and allow for a bit more arm articulation. He can look up a bit and look down well. He cannot flex his hands outwards due to the armour. The torso joint allows for rotation but little bend. He can lift his legs straight up a bit. If you want the legs to be raised more they have to be swung to the side in order to do so. By then he will look awkward. The ankles can only pivot. His feet cannot point downwards or up.  































Comparison shots.





Both figures are nice. I like the size of this War Machine. The accessories too. I would have liked if the range of his articulation were better. Thanks for viewing!


1 comment:

Jason Dooley said...

This may be the coolest thing I've ever seen. Awesome Marvel Legend masterpiece!