Monday, May 16, 2016

Marvel Legends Series 3.75" Shield-Wielding Heroes Comic 2-Pack - Vance Astro & Captain America (Sam Wilson)


Another Marvel Legends Series 3.75" comic 2-pack. This time the Shield-Wielding Heroes in Vance Astro and the Sam Wilson Captain America.




The Sam Wilson Captain America is another figure I was looking forward to. Unlike with the Jane Foster Thor though, I'm not too happy with this figure. I already knew he was not coming with the wings so I was resigned to that. What I did not expect is that he is unable to equip his shield... I mean come on! That's now two essential components about the character that the figure doesn't have... The figure looks pretty good. The head sculpt is nice. I like the sculpted goggles and the detail of his hair. His face reminds me more of Samuel L. Jackson then Sam Wilson though. The body is new. There's a lot of sculpted detail on his costume. The arms and legs are similar to those from the Captain America: Civil War figure with the motorcycle. I think the arms are a little too big and too stiff looking. The paint apps are decent. There's just minor bleeding of the red on the white. I like the metallic paint used for his belt buckle and pouches, as well as on his knee pads.  


























Next up is Vance Astro. I'm not familiar with the character. I'm interested to know why and how he ended up with Captain America's shield. Wiki doesn't say much about it. Anyway the figure reuses the Living Laser's body. I'm not surprised he has the same problematic left ankle. The foot cannot sit flat on the surface and the ankle pivot is hindered. It's a pretty plain figure with some paint detail. His costume is a pearlescent white and dark navy blue. The paint apps are poor. The whole stretch of where the two colours meet have a lot of bleeding. The logo on his chest was done very well though.



























Both figures come with a shield. It's the same shield which we've seen before with several previous Captain America figures. The clip on the inside is blue in colour here. As mentioned, Sam Wilson cannot equip it as the clip is too small for his wrist. I used sticky tac to stick it on in the pics below.  


Articulation. He's got a ball joint neck, ball hinge shoulders, swivel hinge elbows, ball hips, double jointed knees and ankle hinge and pivot. 


Cap has got a ball joint neck, ball hinge shoulders, swivel hinge elbows, waist rotation, ball hips, double jointed knees and ankle hinge and pivot.


I just stuck on Falcon's wings in the following pic.






Comparison shots. Sam Wilson looks a little too bulky for my liking.





This two-pack is a bit of a let down for me. Both figures are just okay. Thanks for viewing!


1 comment:

foldabotZ said...

I recommend cutting thin strips of black garter and gluing them to the squares inside the shield ala the other MU Cap shields and the old ML Cap shields.