Sunday, May 21, 2023

G.I.Joe Classified Series Shipwreck


Hello. You guys want a cracker? No? Then how about a new review?




Hi all! No I'm not back. Not full time anyway. I'm just going to put up the occasional one now and then. I've received several messages requesting me to start things up again. I'm really touched. Truly I am. Didn't think I would be missed with the many, many awesome reviewers out there. The local stores have also slowed in bringing in stock so I wasn't that enthusiastic in reviewing stuff you probably would have already seen elsewhere. Your requests tell me otherwise so here I am! 

I apologise in advance if I make a mistake as I haven't been keeping up to date on the figure types and have not been examining them like I did previously.

Shipwreck is one of my favourite Joes. Took to him early on. Liked his voice in the RAH cartoon, his antics and his cocky attitude. His look and colours also helped him to stand out. The figure's look is based on his classic look. Light blue shirt with dark blue trousers. I thought Recondo's torso might have been reused but it's not. The open V is deeper here. The folded up sleeves are different as well. His chest hair was well printed on. There's good detail on his shirt. It has lots of wrinkles along with sculpted pockets and buttons. His Petty Officer rank was well printed on his sleeves. His trousers is textured. And worn. You can make out the lighter tone of blue. Notably at his thigh areas. There's a bit of extra material at the leg opening which hangs over his shoes a little. It's a nice look but it hinders the ankle articulation.


On his left forearm is a brighter coloured shark tattoo, suggesting he got it more recently. On his right forearm is a faded tattoo of an anchor. 


Shipwreck has a rugged appearance. He looks a little annoyed. His lower lip is sticking out a little. It's like he's in the midst of giving someone a piece of his mind. Pretty unique. The paint for his facial hair was not lined up properly. You can tell it didn't quite hit the sculpt. And the paint is a little too dark and glossy for my liking. There's nice detail for his cap. You can make out the line pattern on the side of it. 


The cap and hair is one piece and it can be swapped out for a full head of hair. His hair is ruffled up and has a slick appearance. He will have a high forehead with this look. 


Accessoires. He comes with a hair piece, Polly, a pistol, a silver Flintlock type pistol, a coil of rope and a grappling hook.


Polly is of course his loyal pet parrot. They did a great job with it. Loving the feathery detail. I also like the varying shades of green. It's a lighter shade around it's neck area. The eyes and beak were well painted. I'm not too please with the bright green patch between its eyes. I didn't know it had a peg leg. Was it something that happened in the comics? In any case it makes it easier to stand on Shipwreck. 



Polly can peg  I mean stand on his left forearm and on his shoulder on the coil of rope when worn. There's a peg hole at those places. 




There's good detail on the coil of rope. It needs a wash though. It's looking rather clean. There's a hook on it to attach the grappling hook. The grappling hook may be stored on the hook at his belt. It's an odd place to carry it if you ask me.


A closer look at the two pistols. Both have nice sculpted detail on them.


Here he is fully equipped. 


Articulation. He's got a dumbbell joint upper neck, dumbbell joint lower neck, ball hinge shoulders, butterfly joints, bicep swivel, double jointed elbows, swivel and up and down hinge wrists, ab crunch, ball joint waist, ball hips on drop down hinge, thigh swivel, double jointed knees and akle hinge and pivot. He can look up and down decently. There's good range for the ab crunch, elbows and knees. The ends of his trousers restricts the full range of the ankle rockers. He may have difficulty standing in some poeses.







Comparison shots.




That's all for now. I'll try not to take a year to make another post. Thanks for viewing!



4 comments:

Barbecue17 said...

Very cool! I'm glad to see that Shipwreck and the other upcoming figures turned out pretty well after the kind of disappointing portraits of the last series.

De zhang said...

This review is like a glass of water in sahara desert. Keep it up bro. Patiently waiting for R&R.

Mikael Francisco said...

Wow! Happy to see that you're back. Looking forward to more reviews from you!

Damon said...

I'm glad that you are back and I understand that you want to show us new stuff. Buuut I think that's not the only thing you have going for your. A big draw of your posts are also the fun photo ideas, the great posing and just your general thoughts, so I'm sure I speak for most of us, when I say, that we also enjoy your posts of older or already known figures. It doesn't have to be the newest stuff to be enjoyable. In any case, keep going! You reviews are always awesome. :)