Sunday, October 24, 2021

McFarlane Toys Disney Mirrorverse Buzz Lightyear


From the Multiverse to the Mirrorverse. Here's a look at Buzz Lightyear. 


I hadn't heard of the Disney Mirrorverse till I came across this figure. Apparently it's a mobile role-playing game where you assemble teams of enhanced versions of Disney characters. Is it worth playing? Do let me know.  




I got unlucky with my figure. The leg broke as I was trying to straighten the knee.



It seems that the lower leg was just glued on to the upper portion. There's no connecting peg or anything... Do be careful when trying to move his joints.   


I like Buzz! Not because of Toy Story though. Rather it was the Buzz Lightyear of Star Command cartoon where he won me over. I like that series. Buzz here is in the 7" scale and has multiple points of articulation. That was what made me decide to pick this up. Buzz looks great. He's big and has good bulk for the suit. The top is heavy but you need not worry about it too much as the feet are quite big and wide. He should be stable. Mine is a little unstable because of the broken leg which I've yet to properly fix. The colours are good. There's nice detail on his suit. I would have preferred the buttons on his right side of his chest to be sculpted or stuck on. Like the button on his left. They were printed on and they look small. I would have liked them bigger. The Star Command logo looks to be a sticker. He has a big hole in his back which will be covered up by the backpack.   



The head sculpt is good. There's a good likeness. He has a confident look about him. I feel his skin tone could use another coat. It looks a little dark and purplish. There's a noticeable blemish on his chin unfortunately. I don't have the ability to paint over that... 





He's got his trusty laser sculpted on his forearm. 

He's got thrusters on the back of his arms. They are on a hinge and can move up and down.


Accessories. He comes with the back portion of his suit, two wings and a base. 


Here's how he looks with the back put on and wings deployed. With the backpack on he looks more complete. The backpack takes a bit of effort to put on. It doesn't fit very well and there may be some gaps here and there. If you push in one side the other side may pop out that sort of thing. The wings are translucent and have some sculpted design on them. I like these "energy" wings compared to regular ones he normally has. I can imagine them being able to slice through things.  



Articulation. He's got a ball joint neck, ball hinge shoulders, bicep swivel, elbow hinge, swivel hinge wrists, diaphragm joint, ball joint waist, peg hinge hips, thigh swivel, knee hinge, ankle swivel and hinge, and toe hinge. The neck is quite stiff. I can only get him to turn his head about forty-five degrees each side. He can look up and down just a bit. The elbows and knees bend about ninety degrees. The diaphragm together with the waist joint gives him good bend forwards and back. He's also able to tilt his body. The ankle articulation can hardly be used due to the leg sculpt.  





Comparison shots. I was unable to find my old Toy Story figure so I'm unable to do that comparison for you. I think he'll go along well with other 7" scale animated figures, such as McFarlane's My Hero Acadamia. 





Great figure! Loving the look and size of him. The articulation as well. I wish he came with a transparent helmet. Thanks for viewing!



No comments: