Sunday, October 10, 2021

Marvel Legends Series What If...? T'Challa Star-Lord & Heist Nebula


I love the What If...? series. I'm a little more motivated to finish reviewing the wave now after watching that last episode. So here are Star-Lord and Nebula.



I'll be honest. I wasn't keen on T'Challa and Nebula when images of them first appeared. They look plain and uninteresting. Having watched the episodes I'm glad we got T'Challa. Just love the take on Star-Lord. Lots of class. I would probably swap Nebula for Korath if it were up to me.   

T'Challa is on an all new body. The arms and legs are pinless. The hands look a little too big. They are actually reused from the Titus wave Star-Lord. I guess they went with them in order for him to hold his guns properly. There's some nice detail on his jacket. It's got a bit of design to it. I like that there's some gold paint applied. Otherwise the jacket would look very plain. Like his grey inner shirt. I would have loved if they sculpted on his necklace. The pants has a bit of design on them and has some creases and wrinkles in them. There's some tiny gold rings near his hips. There's no where to carry his blasters. I wouldn't mind if they did something similar as with the MCU Star-Lord. The boots have flaps sticking out from them where his rocket thrusters are supposed to go. They make him look a little odd. The top of his foot is plated and he also has toe guards.    



The head sculpt is superb. The likeness is spot on. I can imagine him speaking just looking at him. Just noticed that there are gold rings in his collar as well. 


Here's a quick comparison with some previous unmasked heads. This might just be the best looking one.


I did a head swap. The head is a little small but I quite like the look of the "animated" Black Panther. The MCU head is looking good on the new body as well.


Accessories. He comes with an alternate masked head and his tow guns. The guns are the same ones we got previously. These have metallic purple and gold paint on them and they look great. The included BAF part is the head of The Watcher.


I can't say I like the masked head. It looks small and rather narrow. It's like they squeezed his head in or something. And is that a loaf of bread on the top? The mask has some nice detail on it and the paint apps are good.


The Peter Quill masked head beats this one.



Next up Smurfette... I mean Nebula.  



Sorry about that. With that skin tone and hair I was fooled for a second. Lol. Nebula looks quite attractive. The head sculpt looks good. Her facial features were well done. I love the look and shape of her blonde hair. It hides her left eye. There's supposed to be some cybernetics there but I can't make out anything behind. The upper torso is new. There's some nice sculpted detail on it. I like that it has different tones of purple on it. It doesn't quite match up with the lower torso and legs though. Those are reused from the MCU Nebula which is significantly more detailed. Still, from a distance you can't really tell. She has a new belt. This one is leather like and has a holster attached.     



Some close-ups of her face. Her eye is all black. I like that they put a little white dot in there to give it a sparkle. If not it might seem her eye was hollow. Am just noticing that there's some darker blue shading around her eye. Nice!


Accessories. She comes with a right gripping hand, a left fist and a handgun. The hands have the usual swivel hinge articulation. The included BAF parts are the upper and lower torso, the skirt piece and collar of The Watcher.


Her handgun is new. It is quite large, especially the grip. 

Articulation

Nebula has a dumbbell joint neck, ball hinge shoulders, swivel hinge elbows, swivel hinge right wrist, swivel and up and down hinge left wrist (gripping hand), ball joint torso, waist rotation, ball hips, thigh swivel, double jointed knees and ankle hinge and pivot. She can hardly look down or up. Head rotation is hindered by her hair. She can bend forward a little. There's a little more range to the back and to the sides. The range for the ankle hinge is very good. Her belt will get raised when she raises her legs.

Star-Lord has a dumbbell joint neck, ball hinge shoulders, bicep swivel, double jointed elbows, swivel hinge wrists, ab crunch, waist rotation, ball hips, thigh swivel, double jointed knees and ankle hinge and pivot. He can look up and down decently, and also tilt his head well. The elbows have good range. The ab crunch allows one click forward and one click back. He cannot point his foot up as I would like. He will have some trouble doing a running pose for example. 






Comparison shots.






I've come to like T'Challa. The head sculpt is nice. Nebula is just okay to me. Thanks for viewing!


No comments: