Thursday, June 27, 2019

Marvel Legends Series Molten Man BAF (Spider-man: Far From Home)


Since the Spidey stuff is out I thought I'll get Molten Man done first. 


First the parts list:
  • Head - Hydro-man
  • Torso pieces - Spider-woman
  • Right Arm - Doppelganger
  • Left Arm and metal beam- Spider-man (Stealth Suit)
  • Right Leg - Scorpion
  • Left Leg - Mysterio


The torso comes in two parts. You have the main piece and the back shell. The upper torso is made with some translucent orange plastic. And with gaps in the paint on the outer shell you can actually put a light on him and he'll have a fiery appearance. There's a pic of that a little further down.

The upper torso joint is visible here. It looks like a lever which can move front, back and to the sides.  


From what I gather, in Spider-man: Far From Home Molten Man is one of the Elementals which Spidey has to deal with. Don't know yet if he's an actual person of if he's a pure elemental. If it's the former then it will be similar to the comics. I can't say I know much about the character, or have read much of the stories he's been in for that matter. 

The first time I saw the Molten Man figure online I did not like him one bit. To be honest he looked like a giant gold turd with bits sticking out. Having it in hand has changed my opinion slightly. I  quite like the flowy metallic look. With the cracks of orange visible you do get the sense that he's a walking fire giant waiting to explode. Oops... I should say large fire guy. This is no giant. The thing in the trailer standing several storeys high. Now that's a giant. In other words I feel the figure is small. I also think that he'll look better if they had made him more symmetrical. I don't get why one side is bigger than the other... His left arm is large and heavy and it causes him to lean to his left side more. He has a fierce appearance. I like his deformed face with the bit of metal flowing down. Only the metal beam on his right arm is removable. The metal beams have a charred appearance which is nice. They unfortunately failed to paint all the sides so some parts look clean and new.   




























Now I get that there are bound to be cracks on his outer shell. But what you see in the following pic looks very much like a finger print which is annoying. There's also another noticeable one on his chest...


I mentioned earlier about how you can stick a light on him and make him light up. Well here's my attempt. He looks really cool! He probably looks the best like this. 


Articulation. He's got a ball hinge neck, ball hinge shoulders, bicep swivel, swivel hinge elbows, swivel hinge wrists, upper torso joint (elaborated above), ball joint waist, ball hips, thigh swivel, swivel hinge knees and ankle hinge and pivot. He cannot look down. He can look up just a bit. The head will be slanted when you turn it. The elbows can bend ninety degrees. The left wrist hinge is restricted due to the sculpt of the forearm. The upper torso joint offers little range of motion. He can bend forward and back a bit, slant to the sides and also rotate a bit. The waist joint is similar to the upper torso joint and has a a better range. It also allows full body rotation. The knees can bend ninety degrees. Phew... all in the articulation is pretty good for the big guy.  







Comparison shots.






Molten Man turned out a bit better than expected. I still don't really like him. I wish he were bigger and more symmetrical. The light up effect is cool. Whether I'll display him or not will depend on the movie. Thanks for viewing! 



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you have any difficulty getting his left leg on?

Jason said...

Hi, no it fit as per normal.