A first-of-its-kind with a national tourism body for Disney Southeast Asia encompassing
thematic Disney branded entertainment activities for locals and visitors to Singapore
13 April 2017, Singapore – Singapore Tourism Board (STB) and The Walt Disney Company Southeast Asia (Disney) today announced a three-year collaboration, aimed at providing unique and fun experiences themed around Disney’s biggest brands and most popular stories and characters. As part of the collaboration, locals and visitors to Singapore will be entertained with a range of exciting experiential activities starting with Star Wars, followed by Marvel and Disney Animation/Disney Pixar themes in 2018 and 2019 respectively.
In celebration of the 40th anniversary of Star Wars in 2017, the collaboration will kick off with STAR WARS DAY: MAY THE 4TH BE WITH YOU Festival, a three-day Star Wars festival held atGardens by the Bay, followed by other exciting StarWars-themed activations held in the second half of 2017.
Lionel Yeo, Chief Executive, Singapore Tourism Board said, “We are delighted to collaborate with Disney to create a range of exciting activations, adding vibrancy to our existing events calendar and attracting visitors from the Southeast Asia region and beyond. The multi-year activations will profile our attractions and precincts in Singapore,beginning with Gardens by the Bay for the Star Wars festival held in May. Our collaboration with Disney will also offer plentiful opportunities for local event organisers and SMEs to grow their businesses and enhance their capabilities in world class branded entertainment events.”
“Everything we do at Disney is about connecting with our fans and families with our world class storytelling and beloved characters. A first-of-its-kind with a national tourism body in Southeast Asia, this multi-year collaboration with the Singapore Tourism Board provides more exciting opportunities and unique experiences for us to take the Disney brand of storytelling closer to our Singapore fans as well as visitors from the region,” said Rob Gilby, Managing Director, The Walt Disney Company Southeast Asia.
About STAR WARS DAY: MAY THE 4TH BE WITH YOU Festival at Gardens by the Bay
- On May the 4th, the fan-celebrated Star Wars Day, a three-day festival will kick off the first event of the collaboration. Organised by local event organiser, Esprimo, with Gardens by the Bay as an event partner, the highly anticipated STAR WARS DAY: MAY THE 4TH BE WITH YOU Festival will take place from 4–6 May 2017.
- The highlight of the festival is SaberTrees, which will be Southeast Asia’s largest lightsaber light-up activation where the iconic Supertrees at Gardens by the Bay will be transformed into lightsabers.
- This will be complemented by Garden Rhapsody: STAR WARS Edition, a stunning light and music show. In addition, visitors can also look forward to interactions and photo opportunities with Chewbacca and Kylo Ren who will be making their first ever appearance in the city.
- Another festival highlight is the first-ever Star Wars Run (6 May) to be held in Singapore which includes a 4.5km fun run and 10km competitive race.
- Other festival events include a Star Wars-themed Silent Disco (5 & 6 May), outdoor movie screening of Star Wars: The Force Awakens (6 May) and other Star Wars-themed activities.
In the second half of this year, fans can also lookforward to more unique Star Wars experiences held in Singapore. Detailed information will be announced closer to the date.