Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Marvel Legends Series Spider-Ham & Typhoid Mary


Lots of Marvel Legends awaiting. I'll do my best to put up reviews for as many of them as I can. Here's a look at the Marvel Legends Spider-Ham and Typhoid Mary.




I love Spider-Ham. I can't say why to be honest. I did read the comics back then but I can't seem to remember any of the stories. Is that odd? I was really excited to see him again in Spiderverse. Despite his appearance I didn't think Hasbro would actually make a figure of him but here we are. 

The figure is based on a modern take of the character. He's quite plump. The classic version was slimmer and more angular. Being from a cartoon universe he has an animated look. That's not to say there isn't any detail. The eyes, nostrils and the spider logo were all sculpted. Take a closer look and you can make out the sculpted web lines of his costume. His mouth is also visible underneath that snout of his. Sorry I didn't take a photo of that. I love the bright colour tones. The "belt" portion doesn't match up with the rest of his costume. I'll have to see if I can do something about that. His legs are pre-posed. I wish that they had articulation. 


























Accessories. He comes with a Pork Grind head. The included BAF parts is the torso for Monster Venom.


I have absolutely no recollection of Pork Grind. I'm going to have to source for the comics and read them again. There's nice detail on Pork Grind's head. I like the teeth and tusks. I also love his expression. He's menacing in a cartoony sort of way. He kind of reminds me of the Coyote. The head is very shiny and has tiny sparkly dots in it. Please excuse the glare spots in the pics. The head is supposed to be used with the Venom body. I'm using the previous Venom figure from the Absorbing Man BAF wave in the following pics. I'll be sure to try it on the new figure from this series when I get to it. The head sits high on the neck... we'll just have to find appropriate poses for him. The head has a bluish tint and is too shiny. It does not match the tone of this Venom body.   



Next up Typhoid Mary.



One thing about Hasbro releasing not so well known characters is that it makes you read up about them. Which is what I did for Typhoid Mary. I know of the character but have forgotten most of her history. She has multiple personalities. Her Typhoid Mary persona is adventurous, lustful and violent. She's primarily a Daredevil villain, and has also tangled with the likes of Spider-man and Deadpool. Her abilities include telekinesis, pyrokinesis and mind control. The effectiveness of her abilities depends on which persona is in control. She is also highly skilled in martial arts. I found the above info from the Marvel wikia.

The figure is based on one of her more modern looks. The torso is new. The corset was sculpted and it has some nice detail on it. I'm quite excited about this. Could a new Emma Frost be on the way? I certainly hope so. Looking lower the belt too was sculpted along with the pockets and design for jeans. I'm not sure what type of pants she's wearing. You have the top portion which are jeans then you have the covered right leg which looks like tights. Or maybe it's supposed to be a shorts and tights combination. I'm not sure. The legs reuses that of the Silk body. Her left leg has fishnet stockings painted on. There are tears in them as you can see. The boot tops are separate pieces. As is the choker around her neck. Her jacket is new. It has some shoulder plating on it which is quite stiff. They restrict arm articulation as you'll see later. I believe the jacket arms reuses those from the Netflix Jessica Jones. They stick out quite a bit. They cannot be placed closer to her body than what you see in the following pics. She's got a nice head sculpt. Nice hair too. The paint apps are good. The white side is the one which was painted. The line down the centre of her face is clean and straight. She has silver eyes. They shine when they catch the light. It makes it seem like she's using her abilities.


























Accessories. She comes with a sword with a spiralling flame effect. I think the sword may be new. It is not the same one that came with Deadpool or Gwenpool. I checked. This one has a shorter handle and a longer blade. There's nice sculpted detail for the handle. Considering her abilities the flame effect piece is a really nice inclusion. Her grip on the sword is loose which is a bummer. The BAF part is the left leg of Monster Venom.


Articulation

Typhoid Mary has a ball hinge neck, ball hinge shoulders, swivel hinge elbows, swivel hinge wrists, ball joint torso, ball hips, thigh swivel, double jointed knees and ankle hinge and pivot. She can look down okay but not up due to her hair. Head rotation is also hindered by her hair. She will look downwards as you turn her head. The jack shoulder pads prevent her from raising her arms fully. She can hardly bend forward. She can arch back decently though. She can raise her legs up pretty high.

Spider-Ham has a ball joint neck, ball hinge shoulders, swivel hinge elbows, wrist swivel, ball joint waist and ankle swivel. He can look down a little bit but not up. The ball joint at the waist offers a good range of motion. Turning his hands will make sleeves appear. The ankle swivel is practically useless as he will be unable to stand if you turn his feet. 







Comparison shots.






I like Spider-Ham. I wish he had leg articulation but I'm still fine with this. Typhoid Mary looks good but I'm not so hot about her. She's a nice addition for the villains. Thanks for viewing!



1 comment:

J Hernandez said...

Love that Spider-Ham!