Saturday, October 22, 2016

Thundercats Lion-O (Mattel)


Thunder! Thunder! Thunder! Thundercats! Hooooooo!!! Here's a look at the recently released Lion-O figure from Mattel.


Lion-O is the first regular release figure in the line and he comes packed in a black mailer box which features the Thundercats logo in front and an image of Lion-O and the Cats Lair on the sides.



























The main packaging is a box type packaging. I like that its sides are straight as it makes storing them easier unlike the MOTUC 2.0. I'm loving the graphics printed on the front and back. They are so colourful and attractive and they really draw you in. One thing I don't like about it is the blade of the sword smack right in the middle of the front. I get that it completes the picture of the Sword of Omens but it messes up the view of the figure somewhat. I would be happier with a smooth clear bubble. 



The Thundercats have returned! Finally! I was quite disappointed when Bandai did not release more classic figures than they did. But I think things turned out for the better. If Lion-O is anything to go by, this line is going to be great!

Lion-O looks fantastic! He's got a great head sculpt. The likeness is spot on. The paint apps are superb. The eyes and eyebrows were painted very well. I think they did a great job with the hair. I like the "flowy" shape of it and it has great detail. On top of that, its even got some black shading in it. Very nice! He looks very good in action poses. The body looks similar to that of a MOTUC figure. The arms and upper legs are definitely reused. The torso has been tweaked. They sculpted in the the connecting straps at the top of his tunic and also the raised seams at the edges. The belt and trunks is an overlay vinyl piece and is flexible so as to allow some leg articulation. The belt portion has a bit of texture to it. The Thundercats logo was well done and I like that they used gloss paint for it. Speaking of paint, I love the colours used on Lion-O. I think they got the skin tone right and I love the vibrant blue and orangey red of his hair.


























Note that I have swapped in a left gripping hand in the pics above. 

Accessories. He comes with two claw shields, one with a strap and the handle of the Sword of Omens sculpted in, an extra left gripping hand, the Sword of Omens in dagger form and the Sword of Omens when fully extended. Both the swords have nice sculpted detail, notably on the handle and guard. The paint apps for the "Eye" and logo are great and I like that they put in some metallic aqua at the guard. Very nice! Both blades are quite rigid and should not warp easily unless poorly kept.


The claw shields have great sculpted detail. I love the fur like texture. The studs on the "knuckles" were well painted. To equip it you remove his hand first and then swap the claw shield in. The claw shield with the sword can be pegged to his waist. I like how they shaped the claw shield to the contour of his thigh and so that it rests against it nicely and it does not stick out as much. 


"Sword of Omens, give me Sight Beyond Sight!".


Articulation. He's got a ball joint neck, ball hinge shoulders, bicep swivel, elbow hinge, swivel hinge wrists, ab crunch, waist rotation, peg hinge hips, thigh swivel, knee hinge, calf swivel and ankle hinge and pivot. He can look up and down just a bit. There's hardly any forward bend at the ab crunch, he can arch back quite a bit though. He cannot lift his legs up much as I would have liked.
































Comparison shots. The Bandai version has a more animated look thanks to the bright and shiny colours. It is however too tall to fit in with other lines. I've always wanted to have characters of MOTU and Thundercats go up against one another and now we can thanks to the two lines being made similarly.





Great figure! This is probably the best Lion-O figure with have gotten yet! Thanks for viewing!